Caltrans North Region Contractor’s Boot Camp – Free Virtual Event
Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 10:00 AM PST
Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 12:00 PM PST
Add to Calendar
Where: This is an online event.
Contact: Robynn Spence, Caltrans D3, email@example.com
Day 1 1/11/2022 – Morning Session
- 10:00AM – 11:30AM – Opening Remarks & Contracting Tips Q&A Panel
This session will begin with featured speaker introduction from D1, D2, & D3, followed by a Contracting Tips Question and Answer Panel presented by Caltrans Professionals, Primes and DBE Firm Representatives.
Day 1 1/11/2022 – Afternoon Session
- 1:00PM – 3:00PM – Introduction to Public Works Contracting Presentation
In this session, NorCal PTAC Staff will present a general overview of the requirements for subcontractors looking to work on Caltrans projects, including bonding, insurance requirements and prevailing wage requirements.
Day 2 1/12/2022 – Morning Session
- 10:00AM – 11:00AM – Find Caltrans Contracting & Bid Opportunities Presentation
In this session, we will again be joined by NorCal PTAC Staff to learn how to navigate through working with Caltrans information websites to find contracting opportunities, vendor registration and the bidding process, find contracts on Cal eProcure, view past purchases and curent bids, and other resources for DBE’s and Small Businesses.
- 11:00AM – 12:00PM – Caltrans Labor Compliance Presentation
In this session, Caltrans staff will discuss prevailing wage requirements for construction contracts, labor compliance laws and regulations, codes and statutes, wage determination & classifications and payroll requirements.
Day 2 1/12/2022 – Afternoon Session
- 1:00PM – 3:00PM – Caltrans DBE Compliance Before and During Construction Presentation
In this session, Caltrans staff will present tips on finding a certified Disadvantage Business Enterprise (DBE) firm, networking, outreach, common pit falls, and tips. Contractors will gain an understanding of DBE Committment, dealing with DBE subcontractors, communication and proper documentation.
Day 3 1/13/2022 – Morning Session
- 10:00AM – 11:30AM – Estimating & Bidding the Basics Presentation and You have a Contract, Now What? Q&A Panel
In this session, NorCal PTAC staff will drill down in detail on how to prepare successful bids. The instructor will cover the basics of preparing an estimate in a format generally used as an industry standard. The use of Excel spreadsheets is key to this exercise.
- The Bid Format
- Preparing the Spreadsheet
- Cost of General Conditions (Jobsite OH & Supervision)
- Subcontractor & Vendor Outreach for Pricing
- Quantity Take-offs
- Pricing of Labor
- Pricing of Materials & Equipment
- Factoring in the Schedule
Immediately following the presentations there will be a Q&A panel where participants can ask questions about PTAC supportive services, understanding contract requirements, plans, specifications and estimate (PS&E) final acceptance.