Recap from the Alternative Debris Removal Meeting 1/7/2019

It was great to see so many contractors at the Alternative Debris Removal Meeting held on 1/7.  The participation was strong and they are eager to get started. Here are some items that were discussed.

  • If no structures on lot then you are not required to comply with Phase 1 or 2.
  • If structure is less than 120 square feet you can dispose at Neal Road Landfill but only with a certificate from Environmental Health Department.
  • If a Chimney is standing it’s considered a structure and has to be knocked down and inspected by a CAC. Keep in mind, dust control is required during this process.
  • License B contractors have to follow the license requirement – 2 or more unrelated trades. So if you have the contract for the overall project, debris removal and rebuild you should be good.
  • Neal Road Landfill will only take debris from the private contractors and has the capacity of 1 million cubic yards.
  • When hauling loads out it has to be burrito wrapped with 10M, no reusing of the 10M.
  • CalOES rep thought there was a total of 5-6 million cubic yards to be removed.
  • Cross contamination was discussed, to avoid this you have to clean lot by lot, don’t cross lots.
  • Tree removal has to have an arborists say it’s a hazard and the Town is to be provided the documentation, then no permit will be required. If the tree is healthy but wanting it removed and it meets the requirements of min 4’ tall & 30” in diameter then a permit is required.
  • State Program will remove all foundations; Alternative Program has the option to get the foundation tested by a licensed professional for its structural integrity. If it passes that certificate with the test results has to be submitted to the County.
  • Some numbers of 600-700 loads of debris would transported out of Paradise a day with 150-200 being done by private contractors.
  • Hazwoper is for employee safety; Hazmat is for licensing. If you are working in the fire debris footprint you must have Hazwoper training, however if you are hauling, working in your truck that exempts you from the training.
  • Background testing is being done by CalOES and can be used by the private contractor; this should save on some cost.
  • 1 acre or more has to use SWPPP.
  • Burnt vehicles where the VIN cannot be read, DMV has a scrape certificate that will need to be given to the salvage yard.

Important Deadlines:

1/31/19 – CalRecycle’s date to have your ROE turned in.

2/28/19 – Alternative Program – Private contractor application/work plan needs to be turned in.
There was frustration expressed on the 2/28 date.  The officials were sympathetic but the reasoning was to motivate folks to choose a program because the removal has to happen and they are trying to avoid any delays.


Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt